Friday, June 3, 2011

Existential Angst

Last night, while indulging in my nightly bout of existential angst, I demanded that my husband tell me what should come next. In the midst of unreasonable expectations (take care of the kids, take care of the husband) (/jk), he said one good thing: that my job right now is to apply for things. While there are only so many things to apply for right now, it's absolutely true that there are things I can and should be doing to make my (future) applications as strong as possible.

To wit:

Academic
  • draft a teaching statement
  • draft a customizable cover letter
  • prepare 2-3 sample syllabi for classes I can teach
  • revise and submit essays for publication
  • make sure I have two more recommendations in my dossier (both are tentatively ok'd; one is awaiting some material that I need to send, and the other is awaiting a break in the schedule of the recommender. I already have one sitting in my file, waiting to go out and greet the world)
and

Non-academic
  • draft a couple more 'professional' resumes
  • draft a couple of customizable cover letters
  • improve proficiency in my main selling point
So, it's not like I lack for things to do. I think I just need to tackle this list as systematically as possible with a 3 year-old underfoot. At least it would give me something to do when the angst starts creeping back in at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment