Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Therapy and staying in the game...for now

I met up with the therapist who helped me get through the few months before my final dissertation push today. It was a good meeting, since she offered a lot of validation for stuff that came before (that I'm still cleaning up) and some pats on the back for being where I am today.

Which is, specifically, about to write a grant proposal and a job application, both due next week. Actually, the job thing isn't officially due until the end of next month, but I figured I should signal my interest sooner than later. It's a tricky job, though; on the one hand, it's absolutely ideal for what I, personally, want to be doing. And, for the most part, it's ideal for what my husband and I both want for our family. But it would entail a four-month separation from him in another country, with me having sole responsibility for #1 and #2, including, among other things, trying to help them acculturate in a place where they don't speak the language and will be away from familiar faces for most of the day. In that sense, I'm a little hesitant about the whole thing. The separation is necessary, for both Husband's professional life and a real estate issue we have, but it would be quite hard on everyone.

The grant thing, in that sense, is easier; however, it's a government grant that has a notoriously high threshold for acceptance, and since I haven't even begun writing the thing, I can't imagine that I'll be successful this time around.

So, lots of stress - not necessarily bad, but not helping the overall transition experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment