Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day #2, Losing the Glow

The problem I keep dealing with is that this whole post-academia thing is a rollercoaster. One minute, I'm ready to go all Martha Stewart on my SAHMness (despite the fact that MS herself never, ever did the SAHM thing), and turn into a cooking/gardening/crafting/child-rearing whirlwind of activity. Then #2 starts picking at the same. damned. place. he picks at every day - usually my total dislike of messes involving paper, which are legion around here - and all that drops by the wayside as I plunge headfirst into existential despair.

My brother laughed on the phone earlier, when I said that I was just sitting around counting the days until #2 is five. Which is a good year and a half (+2 months) away. I'm serious, though; five really makes all the difference in the world. Among other things, you can take the kids to the library, let go of their hands, and have a reasonable expectation that they will come back to you when you call. Three year-olds...not so much.

Anyway...there must be something small that I've taken some pleasure in today. The kids did leave me alone in bed all night last night, and they even let me sleep in until 7:45 am...I suppose that's something.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of pulling together a grant application to find funding to work on turning my dissertation into a book. Since interviews are involved, though, I have to have some IRB office somewhere exempt me (they were exempted for the dissertation, so I cannot imagine they wouldn't be this time around). Unfortunately, commercial IRB places seem to charge an obscene amount of money just to be exempted...ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment